Winter has some of the nastiest weather, but also some of the biggest holidays that involve traveling long distances! Keeping your car and family safe while traveling is incredibly important, so here are some of the winter emergency supplies that you should have in your car whether you’re with others or alone.
Make sure to include all of the following in your winter emergency supplies:
- An extra blanket in case you cannot get out of your car and are briefly stuck
- An extra pair of gloves and a winter hat in your winter emergency supplies stash. Many times, these items get left behind at home or misplaced and you are stuck clearing out snow from your windshield wipers with bare hands. Make sure that you replace these as you use them since you probably will pull these out a few times over the course of the winter.
- A couple non-perishable snacks and a small case of water in case you get stuck for an extended period of time
- A rechargeable battery pack and charging cable for your phone in case your phone dies at the worst possible moment
For Your Car
Pack the following in your car as part of your winter emergency supplies kit:
- A brush with an extendable handle that can reach the roof of your car easily
- Ice scrapers (it helps to have a small one for detailed areas like side mirrors and a large one for your front and back windshields)
- An extra gallon of windshield washer fluid that is designed to work in even the coldest temperatures
- A small shovel that you can use to clear out now or help to dig out another unlucky motorist
- Jumper cables (these should be in your car all the time, not just during the winter!)
- Flares (these should also be in your car every day, and make sure that you know how to safely use them)
Safety Every Day of the Year with Wachter Insurance
Whether you need homeowners’ insurance or automobile insurance, our team at Wachter Insurance Agency, Inc. is here to help. We offer all of our clients competitive rates, professional customer service, and a huge range of policies to choose from for your needs. We have been serving Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia since 1969 and we would love to help keep your home and family safe every day of the year. For more information, give us a call at (301) 371-6335 or visit us online. For more blogs like these, follow us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest.