April showers bring May flowers! The rainy spring season means that your windshield wipers are getting an extra workout. Constant exposure to the elements means that your windshield wipers wear out relatively quickly. When do you know it’s time to replace them?
When to Replace Your Windshield Wipers
How old are your wipers? If they’re more than six months to a year old, then it’s probably time to change them. Just to make sure, look for these signs of wear:
- Frayed or folded edges.
- Steaks on your windshield when you turn on your wipers.
- A scraping sound when your wipers are on.
How to Replace Your Windshield Wipers
Luckily, it should only cost around $20 to replace your windshield wipers, and the actual process of replacing them only takes a minute. Here are some tips for choosing the right replacement wipers:
- Check your user’s manual. Your car manufacturer should detail what type of wipers will work best for your car.
- Read reviews. There’s a wide range of styles and prices of windshield wipers to choose from. To help you make a decision, read some online reviews.
- Decide how heavy duty your wipers should be. If you want wipers that can handle the ice and snow of winter, you can get prepared now by purchasing heavy duty wipers that can handle the extra work of wiping away snow and ice.
- Keep price in mind. While pricier wipers may do a better job of keeping your windshield clean, remember that you will still have to replace them just as often as cheaper wipers.
- Decide if you’ll DIY. Replacing your wipers yourself isn’t too difficult a task. However, if you’re feeling uncertain, you can purchase your wipers at an auto supply store, and the employees will likely attach them for you.
- Don’t forget your windshield wiper fluid. While you’re focused on keeping your windshield clean, remember to top up your windshield wiper fluid. The road salt that gets caked onto cars during the winter often leaves wiper fluid low by the time spring rolls around.
- Take good care of your new wipers. Every few weeks, take a wet paper towel and wipe off your new wipers. You can also try to park in the shade whenever possible to extend the life of your wipers.
Whether you need homeowners’ insurance or automobile insurance, our team at Wachter Insurance Agency, Inc. is here to help. We offer all of our clients competitive rates, professional customer service, and a huge range of policies to choose from for your needs. We have been serving Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia since 1969 and we would love to help keep your home and family safe every day of the year. For more information, give us a call at (301) 371-6335 or visit us online. For more blogs like these, follow us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest.