Accidents happen. We never see them coming and we never want to be a part of them – that’s why they’re called accidents. In those cases when they happen and there’s nothing that you can do or it’s not your fault, you need to know how to handle the situation so that everything gets taken care of promptly and properly. We know that tensions can run high after an accident and it can be difficult to stay calm and collected, but it’s an important first step in making the process as simple and painless as possible. Follow the checklist here for the best ways to handle the aftermath of a car accident.
Steps to Take After an Auto Accident
- Assess that no one is hurt. This is the most important thing to after an accident. If anyone is injured or worried about possible injuries with a delayed onset, that problem needs to be addressed immediately. Call 911 and report the accident. Be sure to request an ambulance as well if anyone involved has sustained an injury.
- Move to the safest area possible. If you can’t move to safe area, do everything that you can to announce your presence. Turn your hazards on, put flares out if you have them, and be sure that you’re focusing on your safety as well. Avoid stepping on to a busy road if you can. If you can’t, wait for a lull in traffic.
- Call the police. If you’ve already dialed 911 for an ambulance, this is irrelevant. If you haven’t, you should immediately call the police. They’ll be able to file a report for you that will help determine fault and make the process of filing claims with your Frederick insurance agency much easier. The more information all parties can provide, the better.
- Get all of the information. Take down insurance information from the other party as well as the name and number of the officer present, the location of the accident, the time of the accident, license plate numbers, and the makes and models of the vehicles. Document everything that you can think of, both written and photographed.
- File your claim. You can either file the claim directly from the accident or after it happens. We recommend that you file your claim as soon as you can to get the ball rolling on repairs and more. We know that you just want to put the whole situation behind you. The best way to do that is to make sure that you present all of the information as soon as you can.
Frederick Auto Insurance
If you’ve been in an accident, you want to know that you’ve got a strong, hardworking group of people behind you to help you get through a trying and difficult time. When you’re ready to start discussing car insurance with your Frederick insurance provider, we’re here to help. You can call us at 301.371.6335, visit our website, or drop by our Middletown, Maryland office to schedule a personal and informative appointment.